PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2012, 15:10
Turbine D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The drumbeat at the beginning was "do nothing". At a/p drop, that was the first the crew knew something was up. With a roll excursion of four degrees per second, and a bobbing nose, the consensus for another several months was "do nothing". Eventually, and grudgingly, the consensus changed, and people here started to instead assess, "PITCH UP". The a/c needed immediate controls, it was obvious, then in spite of BEA noting "mostly ND inputs" post STALLWARN #1, it was "full back stick, what in the world".....

This thread has some time on it, perhaps eventually the last of the hold outs will let go of "30 other crews survived, what is the big deal?"

ICE was never a known fact, from the beginning, it was merely "likely" (BEA).

The Autopilot on the A330 has maneuvering limits, and when they are exceeded, it quits, into NORMAL LAW). BEA never took the time to address what may have occurred, except for the "likelihood" of water ICE.

This report is a shepherd by default, herding people toward conclusions that must be arrived at independently....there is NO EXCUSE for the foot dragging re: "vitesse douteuse..." whether these Pitots crapped out, or not, NO EXCUSE....
This has got to be the last chapter in the technical series "Theories of FBW Aircraft Operations From A to Z". (sigh)...

Must be time to start over from the beginning (rerun): Introduction to Chapter 1 (A):
There is a problem. A small but positive attitude, yes, but don't forget that there was said to be a yawing moment, sufficient to fail the VS at impact, and in a leftward direction. The BEA make a great deal of there being no aerodynamic loading to cause the separation of the Vertical in flight, and I think their term was "Struck the water En Ligne de Vol", (direction of flight). This means to me no yaw whatsoever at impact. So it seems to me someone is letting the authority have it both ways.

The Stabilizer stayed with the a/c, "what a stout airframe". It rotated off at impact even though the tail was following the nose "En Ligne"? Did it rotate forward around the #1 Clevis?

Two things are missing, as I see it. Metallurgy/Composite autopsy. Passenger autopsies as to injuries. One cannot learn from less than forthcoming analysis.