PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MMMmmmiles Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2003, 15:05
Aerohack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, it's the M.2W 'ADWT, which went to Canada in 1964 with the late Father John McGillivray, an RCAF chaplain who'd been based in the Germany. Delightful man, he was a regular attendee at UK fly-ins. I met him at Oshkosh one year when he brought the then Canadian-registered Hawk Major along. The long-term storage and uncertain future of 'ADMW with the RAF Museum Reserve Collection has irked many a Miles enthusiast. It has no significant place in RAF history. Last flew in 1965, I think, so not quite 40 years yet. I'd love to see it flying again, not least because it was once (long before my time!) on the fleet of the Portsmouth Aero Club, where my passion for aviation and Miles aircraft was forged. There's a superb pre-war photo of it in Anthony Triggs's recently published book 'Portsmouth Airport', resplendent in a typical Miles colour scheme of cream wings and tailplane with dark coloured fuselage, fin and 'trousers'. Another — long forgotten — Hawk Major is imminently due in the UK for restoration, but will be leaving again once completed. An expatriate Brit friend of mine in the States has made several unsuccessful attempts to get his hands on one of the South American Hawk Majors, and now is thinking in terms of building one from scratch, having gathered most of the drawings.