PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2012, 02:11
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by studi
Now one can argue that Autotrim is independant from envelope protection. However, to come to a final conclusion about the good or bad of Autotrim, we would need to analyse many more LOC-accidents and recovered LOC-situations, and compare the respective sequences on planes with autotrim and without. Since all of the no-autotrim planes are without protection, it will be hard to make a meaningful conclusion.
Such debate is not the right one.
Autotrim all the way as long as the data are believed to be reliable.
But when the slightest doubt exist, stay humble and reverse straight to direct law - Protections and autotrim can well wait for the next flight.

Originally Posted by studi
I introduced the example of a plane stalled by autopilot (for whatever reason) with no-autotrim. At one point, AP will drop-out and the plane will be thrown into the pilots hands totally out of reasonable trim and he will need a lot of force to immediately lower the nose. Personally I see autotrim in such a situation as very helpful for recovery, and such a scenario has happened too and is in my opinion more likely and more difficult to control than a simple UAS at FL350.
You did mention a few times AMS, but I am not sure you fully grab the complexity behind the erroneous data and what could be the possible consequences for the Airbus scenario ...