PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2012, 21:47
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boris for Prime Minister

Hmm, not convinced that it's so clear-cut. Any Conservative party leadership contest is unlikely to be Boris v. Call-Me-Dave. It is more likely that it would take place if/when Call-Me-Dave loses an election, and resigns as Conservative leader. It would therefore be Boris v. Osborne or David Davis or A.N.OTHER. How would Boris fare as leader of the opposition?

Of course Boris would have to be an MP and, allegedly, this will not happen until he has completed his term as mayor. Boris is clearly benefitting from the "Olympics bounce", but will this last long enough?

On the other hand, imagine this:

1. there is a feelgood factor from the Jubilee and the Olympics;

2. the Conservatives scrape through the Corby by-election on a low turnout because Miliband is still not trusted;

3. all the Libdems vote down the boundary-change bill (with Labour and the "minority parties") in a tit-for-tat for no House of Lords reform;

4. Call-Me-Dave sacks the Libdems from his cabinet ending the coalition;

5. Call-Me-Dave apparently dislikes minority governments (why else would he put up with the Libdems?) so risks a general election........

Either way, all bets re. Boris are off.

If Call-Me-Dave wins, he's unassailable for a while, if he loses, Boris is not in the House of Commons and cannot mount a leadership challenge.

Unlikely of course, but not impossible.

Boris is right on the need to stop pussyfooting around and make some decisions, but it has to be the correct decision, and this means Heathrow expansion, now.