PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Borneo Whirlwind veterans here?
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2012, 21:40
Tiger_mate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I travelled to Odiham to get some reference photographs and I am afraid that a combination of ODH getting a new Chinook Gate Guard, RAF Policy of only single gate guards, and most importantly the ammount of obvious corrosion on the Whirlwind; I speculate that its future looks bleak.

Here is one of the many photographs taken. Can I assume that all Borneo Whirlwinds had the pair of (FM?) aerials below the nose? .....and is the prominent round filler cap with the sight glass adjacent to it the fuel filler as I am struggling to get my head around exactly which orrifice is for fuel (and likely staining)

There was a small triangular aerial attached to a bodge mount behind the starboard oleo. Looked like a DME or IFF and I wonder if this was also a universal fitment.

AL1. Having studied a similar photo of an SAR cab, I believe the fuel cap to be the semi circular flap with a butterfly type zeus fastener next to the intercom point and the circular flap for oil. Ie the cover labled Earthing Point.

Last edited by Tiger_mate; 16th Aug 2012 at 19:03.