PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2012, 18:44
vikdream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reality is that we cannot change the situation. I have been waiting for this moment since I am 12. I have a degree, PPL, decent job position within the airline industry, managed to save the 35% of what my training will cost... I am not going to sit on the chair seeing aircrafts flying over my flat despite the current economic situation...

... And I am not the only one. Obviously I don't like what's happening. Flexicrew contracts are not the best (they are actually quite bad). But what can we wanabees hope for? And we can't certainly reverse the situation, that's for sure. We might be able to change it in the future, but not now. This scheme (CTC Wings) is one of the best ways into the airlines (as I said before, apart from FPP, etc.). If after that EZY offers peanuts, it's not our fault. Someone let them do it at a certain point in the past, and it was not me or any other wanabee, that's for sure.

The reality is that many young pilots in Europe will never be on the right hand side of a jet (the majority of them I would say). It does not matter whether you start now or within 5 years time, because when I was 18 the situation was not very different. Knowing that, some of them have worked very hard to gain a place in a scheme that puts us in a better position within the airline industry (or at least, that gives us the opportunity of entering the airline industry). Don't blame us for paying 100K (it is not actually, it is 79K), don't blame us for accepting flexi crew contracts. We have no choice if we want to follow our dreams. We are not rich either, some of us have been saving every peny (euro cents in my case) we could.

I am not trying to convince anybody that CTC is the best FTO out there or that they deal with EZY is good. I am just saying that, considering the current situation, they are a very good opportunity for wanabees and, let me say this, a very fair and well-structured opportunity. Oh, and referring to one of the comments above, CTC never promised me a job or a salary of 60K a year. They were and have always been very honest.

This is my point of view, however some of you might think different. But I come from a place where FO salaries are worse than the Flexicrew contract, where the 50% of the graduated pilots are unemployed and where 60% of the FTO closed down in the past two years.