PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4 Ryanair aircraft declare fuel emergency at same time
Old 15th Aug 2012, 18:00
beernice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just who said these captains did not take extra fuel? This whole thread is based on the assumption that these aircraft departed with minimum fuel but nobody can say if this is the case.
Second a mayday for fuel is declared when the expected touchdown fuel remaining is less than final reserve. Given that Spanish ATC are a disgrace to the profession and getting accurate information is next to impossible, is it any wonder that maydays were declared. If you can't accurately predict when you can touchdown you have no option but to declare an emergency. I believe all Ryanair aircraft touched down with above final reserve.
Third, min fuel. I have been carrying min fuel for at least the last 5 years. Never had an issue. I normally land with between 2.8 and 3.0 tonnes. I do note that if I deem extra fuel needed I tend to take a little more extra fuel than many of my collegues. For those of you that are saying taking off with min fuel is unsafe, what of the situation ( a situation I have had a least 3 times this summer) where with passenger and min fuel load I was up to my MTOW. Was this flight unsafe? Should I have tech stopped on the way so I had a little extra just in case when I reached my destination. It is complete nonsense to say that min fuel is dangerous.
Fourth, The Ryanair fuel league is statistical nonsense, the letters you recieve are standard letters telling you well done or could do better. I have had many of both in my time, all end up straight in the bin never to be thought of again. I cannot see why any professional pilot would give a second thought to these letters, they are a creation of non pilot management and have no meaning in the flying world, if these guys want their delusions let them think these letters are changing the way we do business. By the way base captains been ordered by the chief pilot to issue letters to the top/bottom 20% of pilots within the company, company not base! You can see immediately how it is statistical nonsense.
Fifth and last, When it comes to fuel carriage FR are more generous than many of the larger operators out there. Anyone from Easy care to comment? What do you normally arrive with?