PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Fair Tax on Flying
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2012, 16:00
atmosphere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a good response, See Below

Thank you for contacting me about Air Passenger Duty (APD).

I feel strongly about the damaging effects of high APD. Anything other than low rates of taxation damages wealth creation. I believe in low taxation in general and I believe it is crazy to pay for our public services through taxes on fuel and travel.

High APD particularly affects my constituency because many residents are of Vincentian extraction whose lives are blighted by the high rate making it less affordable to maintain family ties with St Vincent.

The only way taxation can be fair, in my view, is for all taxes to be low. But for that to happen, people need to vote for lower government expenditure. Without that, taxes will need to remain high to reduce the deficit and begin paying off the debt.

However, there is a strong case that our air transport costs must be competitive and reflect market changes, so I shall continue to press for the earliest possible reduction in APD as well as for less government, lower taxes and more freedom in general.

On election I made the decision to join the list of MPs who have decided not to sign EDMs. You can read more about my views on EDMs here.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Steve Baker MP