PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COPA Airlines interviews
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2012, 15:12
peteroja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why I dont recomend COPA

I worked for COPA from October of 2011 to June of 2012. I had enough of their operation, it was a big mistake to go there. It is my opinion that COPA is a very unsafe operation.

The Panamanian’s will treat you ok while you are within an earshot, but they hate gringos and will do everything in their power to screw you over. Their standards are very low. The Panamanian Pilot totally lack basic aviation knowledge such performance calculation, fuel planning, weather planning, the importance of knowing their own Manuals and Ops Specs. During my time at Copa I saw Panamanian Captain's disregard airspace limitation, controller instruction, fuel andperformance limitation. COPA is an accident waiting to happen.

The training is substandard and cheating on tests is openly encouraged. One of the requirements is a written demonstration that you read, understandand speak Spanish, you will take a regulations test in Spanish, COPA will send a translator with you during the test and she will actually do the test for you.

During the training you will be required to take a Medical and Psychological tests. You are required to pay for each test yourself, COPA will reimburse a small portion. You are required to pay for your own uniform, including epaulets and wings, this will cost you around $450.

During IOE/OEwhich is min 100 hours you will have 3 line checks, you must pass every one or face termination. I heard of pilots that failed their IOE for not turning on the lights at 18000 ft. MSL exactly, according to their statements they were off with 200 ft.

The Panamanian’s are in general very rude and lack common courteousy. This is just how they are; very disrespectful to others, you will notice this the first time you take a taxi in Panama. This is strictly due to their poor education, they just don’t know better and lack common sense, their flying abilities are a direct reflection of their behavior.

There has been several close calls, however COPA has been very lucky so far, a Spanish First Officer and a Panamanian Captain got into a physical altercation on final approach at the time the airport closed down, the Captain wanted to landregardless, the airspeed was bleeding down to 93 kts, before the First Officer took over the controls and saved the situation. This was swept under the carpet by the Dir Ops and Chief Pilot. This is just part of their daily occurrences.

Last edited by peteroja; 15th Aug 2012 at 20:48.