PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4 Ryanair aircraft declare fuel emergency at same time
Old 15th Aug 2012, 14:20
the_stranger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The RYR guys did not divert from minima. Yet they found themselves with 30 minutes at touchdown because you simply don't fly a straight line from diversion point to threshold.
On our flightplans, diversion fuel is calculated via a SID/STAR, never a straight line. Also (most of the time) three other options are given, calculate by the same way and indicated as how much fuel we would need extra/less compared to the planned altn.
A straight line is not required to keep me within my diversion fuel.

Again, no go around allowed at alternate.
And if I would expect one, I would plan for it. Ofcourse you never know, but how many unlikely variables do you take into account?
Even if you take 2 hours extra, there are always some scenarios to be imagined where you run out.
For me, the chance for doing an approach while running close to diversion fuel plus 30 minutes, going around, using more then the planned div. fuel and going around at the altn are so small I more or less disregard it. unless you can expect a go-around/linger routing.
But then you plan for it.
And in the end, those 30 minutes are meant for extreme unlikely things..
Plus, you don't always have the chance to divert from a point 200 miles ahead of your destination. Many times it will occur after a 20 minutes holding and once everybody has already started rushing to the alternate.
Since when do others decide for you when to divert. If, at 400' after T/O, I want to divert, I divert. I ALWAYS have the chance to divert, be it 200 miles before destination or after a go-around. Having limited options where to divert to, that's another story, but again, you plan for that.
Anyway, we can discuss all that for weeks, the bottom line is captains and first officers should never feel pressure to bring less than what they feel comfortable with. For some it will be 100 kilos, for other it may be 700. We're not all made equal in the face of stress and pressure. The 700 guy may not be the black sheep. He's only different and is aware of his own lower limits.

Now, past 1000 kilos as a standard magic number is way out normality to me !
You are totally right there and I am not advocating my way of working as being better. There is the law and your personal margin. That last part is totally up to you and you should feel comfortable (including the rest of the crew).

It certainly has nothing to do with guts, cowards or how far are you daring to go. It is a personal thing to decide how much you want above the calculated, and therefor legal minimum.

But saying more fuel equals more safety is mindlessly repeating eachother

Last edited by the_stranger; 15th Aug 2012 at 15:15. Reason: language barrier ;)