PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPL/IR - MEP vs SEP
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2003, 12:50
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cricketer,

You've given good reasons why most people go for the first route.

Everything you've said is true. Especially the last bit: "Flying is meant for enjoyment." Can't agree more. It seems that you and I have a different idea of enjoyment though... not that that's a problem, of course! I've only got 5 hours of MEP time, but it was probably the most boring 5 hours I've spent in the air so far. Don't get me wrong - it was far more enjoyable than almost anything I've ever done on the ground (a few very important exceptions noted ) - but I'd much rather be buzzing around the sky in something which is going to respond when I move the controls. Of course, we all like different things, which is one of the things which makes flying so great....

Can anyone answer any of my specific questions, though?

(Oh, the counter-argument, for doing the training on SEP first, is the issue of how you're going to use the license. I own a share in a SEP. Large numbers of us will work as instructors, flying SEPs, before moving onto bigger things. I really can't see me ever flying a multi-engined aircraft except for training, until I'm at the stage where I'm close to being offered a job flying a multi-engined aircraft. And MEP IR annual renewals are, from what I've heard, not something to be enjoyed - especially if you're not current! )

FFF
--------------