PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "New" holding procedures
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2012, 13:26
BEagle

Received 279 Likes on 113 Posts
....Except the the RAF IREs who liked to prove they were better than everyone else liked to insist on fix joins from any angle.
Well, I never insisted on you doing that on the '10, Dan! A certain D**k E***s tried to insist on such bolleaux when I was doing my retread course after UAS days. He then went to the galley to make some tea and was suprised to note that I was positioning to join along the defining radial (this was pre-FMS days), rather than aiming at f*** all with f*** all! Of course it helped having been the squadron IRE on a previous tour, so after a 'discussion' he accepted my view.

Mind you, the CAA were even kinder. My 'observed' IR on the '10 included a radar vectored ILS at Lyneham on RW25, then an NDB join, hold and asymmetric NDB on RW26 at Brize. But instead of insisting on a direct transit, followed by an appropriate sector entry and join, the IRE was perfectly happy to allow me to poke off north, then turn to join on the precise sector 3 holding course... Nice chap!! A shame that such things are no longer possible though...

Last edited by BEagle; 15th Aug 2012 at 13:27.