PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4 Ryanair aircraft declare fuel emergency at same time
Old 15th Aug 2012, 11:24
the_stranger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Again, I wouldn't do it, but does minimum fuel make it automatically unsafe?
In my opinion not. The reason I would take more fuel is not due to safety, but due to not wanting to divert if not really needed.

In the case of only the destination airport covered in TS, in the western part of Europe there are more suitable airports then p2f candidates. It just requires a constant and vigilant watch on the weather conditions at destination and a number of surrounding airports, as well as airports enroute.

Offcourse real life is never as black and white as a internet discussion, but again I will state that flying to a TS covered busy airport with minimum fuel is not usafe, allthough usually not very clever.

More fuel does not equal more options in all circumstances. A decision to divert a little earlier is the same as taking extra fuel. If approaching a sort of closed airport due to TS, you know what fuel you need to be at your alternate and have 30 minutes left. What stops you from diverting earlier then that point?

Minimum fuel does NOT equal a low fuel emergency while diverting. You ask for priority when the amount of fuel on landing is less then 30 minutes, not before. So if you do your job right, that wouldn't happen, apart from unforseen cicumstances. (but those can happen on every flight, CAVOK or not).
Come on, that's ridiculous. I think leaving with minimum fuel + 100/200 kgs is fairly standard when all is well. Now, leaving with that amount when destination is fairly risky is not a matter of costing a bit less or a bit more. It means putting extra probability to put 180 people's lives at risk.
I can tell you, 90% if not approaching 99% of the flights in our company (at least the European division) take off with bare minimum fuel, which is trip plus altn plus final reserve (30mins) plus 5% cont fuel (with a minimum of 5 mins).
No more, no less. Having said that, taking extra fuel is in my company never a problem, never asked to explain, all up to the captain. And I do take some extra, but only on certain (few) flights where I can expect holdings since diverting will cause massive disruptions in the schedule, both mine as the company's. But I do NOT take a extra amount just for safety above the minimum calculated by our flightplanners.

Last edited by the_stranger; 15th Aug 2012 at 11:34.