PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPL/IR - MEP vs SEP
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2003, 11:55
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CPL/IR - MEP vs SEP

Having completed the PPL, exams and hour-building (I haven't yet, but I'm very close), the next thing to do is to get a multi-engine CPL/IR. It seems to me that there are two basic ways of doing this (no doubt with numerous variations):[list=1][*]Do a multi-engine CPL and IR[*]Do a single-engine CPL and IR, then convert them to multi-engine[/list=1]
What would be the difference between these two methods? A few questions I can think of to start with:
  • What is the minimum number of hours for each license/rating, and therefore what is the total for each route?
  • What is a reasonable cost for each route?
  • Are there any differences in the privileges of the resulting licenses and ratings? E.g. does doing all the tests on a multi-engine restrict what you can do in a single-engine in any way?
  • Any obscure regulatory problems? E.g. if I were to consider getting an FAA IR and converting it, would the same choice still exist, with the same implications?
Option 1 seems to be the most common, so I'd be interested to hear from anyone who did option 2 - why did you do it, would you do it that way again, etc?

Thanks!

FFF
---------------