PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND - 3 The new beginning
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2012, 09:06
davidjohnson6

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
When Easyjet began selling seats out of Southend they were at very low fares. Filling aircraft on beach routes in July from an airport that covers the London area when some of the aircraft capacity has simply been moved from Stansted should not be too hard particularly with the marketing power of Easyjet

I have no dislike for SEN at all and genuinely want it to succeed given the monopolistic behaviour of BAA at Stansted.

Yes 84,000 passengers per month is credit worthy with current aircraft but it sets the airport size at what I believe is still quite a modest level and means the airport is dependent on a small number of routes.
Yes, it's a lot more passengers than in the 1990s and 2000s, but with all the expenditure on new terminal, runway extension and train station, one should also expect a lot more passengers when setting any kind of performance target.
Hit 1 million bums on seats in a year (yes I know it'll require more based aircraft) and I'll regard SEN as a serious airport and genuinely be impressed.

Last edited by davidjohnson6; 15th Aug 2012 at 09:41.