PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iPad experience and choices
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2012, 08:55
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just hope the likes of Jeppesen don't make him an offer he can't refuse...
Of course this is pure speculation, but I wonder if an acquisition by Jeppesen would necessary be a bad thing.

SD currently seems to use raw AIP data, but I noticed that during the conversion process sometimes things have gone wrong. Which means, for starters, that the airspace depiction in SD is subtly different from the airspace depiction on the ICAO VFR and Jeppesen VFR+GPS maps. In the past I have also seen airspace missing. And let's not get started on the countries that are not supported by SD at all, for lack of airspace data.

When SD would be integrated in Jeppesen, the first thing I would assume would happen, would be that SD would use the Jeppesen database. Which is far more complete, both for IFR and VFR, and has quite a longer history and larger userbase. Which means that a lot of bugs have been ironed out already.

On the other hand, whether the price for an SD subscription would remain the same as it is now, given that that subscription would give you access to the full Jeppesen database, ...?