PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Cadet Pilot - All Batches, Merged
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2012, 08:41
ballistix71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I am a recent local graduate and I was thinking of applying to the SIA Cadet pilot program. Looking at the current situation and reading the many previous posts, it seems that they are not hiring at all due to the current economic situation.

I would however, like to do a CPL in the mean time so as to be ready should they open applications. Having just read that there was a cadet who did an FAA CPL/ME IR with FI rating, is that a good route to go down or should I just stop at a CPL? Is anyone aware of the school that the mentioned FI cadet did his training at?
Acknowledging the fact that CAAS has recently reduced the minimum requirement back to 200Hours from the previous 700Hours for foreign license conversions, would anyone please care to share the best schools to attend in either the US or the UK. Are any exemptions given for a foreign CPL conversion?

I look forward to your replies my fellow aspiring and current aviators.
Hi IpMan, SIA still has cadets going through the system, but I don't think are taking fresh applications. Other subsidiaries may still be taking applications though, Silkair being one example (as they are expanding).

STAA has graduates gaining employment with Silkair after the course so Tiger isn't the only option. From my understanding there is also a move to the UK theory subjects in SG so if you were to do a UK licence it may provide a smoother transition. Most overseas CPL/IR will require you to do conversion exams in SG. I think it is still the Performance A and Airlaw exams (dependant on experience) not sure of when they were going to change over to the new system.

The other route mentioned was as a FI/QFI. Not sure where SFC and STAA source their instructors from but it may be worth looking into as that area of aviation will start to have issues with staffing levels soon. Old school will be retiring and no new school to really replace them. If you want an indication have a look at the number of instructor jobs popping up in Australia recently.

For foreign licences best bet is to take a look at the CAAS SASP documents (either SASP 2 or 10 can't remember now) for licencing and see what they say re conversions. Some may need more hoops jumped through than others to meet requirements.

Hope the information helps see through some of the smokescreen...