PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND - 3 The new beginning
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2012, 07:29
Expressflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LTNman & davidjohnson6

I start to wonder what sort of figures you would want to see before you admitted that the rebuilt SEN has so far been an outstanding success.

What is the point in selectively comparing the pax figures for three well established UK airports when SEN has been operational for only 5 months?

I think it is generally accepted that SEN is unlikely to exceed 2 mppa under current plans for terminal capacity and its infrastructure. That's all it needs to do in order to become a commercial success for its current owners while maintaining its growing reputation as an easy to use, rapid transit airport.

I don't see how LTNman squares his view that STN will offer lower costs to fill their half empty terminal with his statement that LTN will be looking for an addition 8 million pax by 2014. Surely that would be a tough ask for LTN, while I don't see why it should dent SEN's modest ambition for 2 mppa by then.

Aviation has suffered more than its fair share of bad news in recent years, dealing with the impacts of recession and ever increasing APD and fuel costs etc. and many airports are seeing reductions in passenger numbers and profitability. Just for once can't we all welcome the good news that SEN represents to the industry?