PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Cadet Pilot - All Batches, Merged
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2012, 03:33
SingaporeAirlines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I am a recent local graduate and I was thinking of applying to the SIA Cadet pilot program. Looking at the current situation and reading the many previous posts, it seems that they are not hiring at all due to the current economic situation.

I would however, like to do a CPL in the mean time so as to be ready should they open applications. Having just read that there was a cadet who did an FAA CPL/ME IR with FI rating, is that a good route to go down or should I just stop at a CPL? Is anyone aware of the school that the mentioned FI cadet did his training at?
Acknowledging the fact that CAAS has recently reduced the minimum requirement back to 200Hours from the previous 700Hours for foreign license conversions, would anyone please care to share the best schools to attend in either the US or the UK. Are any exemptions given for a foreign CPL conversion?

I look forward to your replies my fellow aspiring and current aviators.
I would actually venture to say give the FAA CPL a shot. For the Tiger one, EVERY experienced aviator here would agree that an MPL is still dangerous for now and if Tiger shuts down a year later, ALL your money is gone and no one will even smell your armpit hair let alone hire you.

There are a lot of charter companies here and if we make our "hire local first" policy heard, even the big guys like JetAviation and ExecutiveJets would have to start hearing us. Also FAA CPL allows you to have a shot to apply to the SIA Group AND hopefully even the local charter outfits. FlightInstructing is also a possibility.

If all else fails, with your degree, get your first job in an aviation firm and get contacts.

Last I checked, companies like Lufthansa were hiring Management Trainees from Singapore!