PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 report out
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2012, 20:04
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
@ TTex600
Good post. And hopefully it brings back the discussion about some topics without the A v B bias.
A v B is neither an argument for the one side nor the other. Both designs have proven their value and also their safety, but as always nothing is perfect. To adress some points which are improveable is the task in accident investigation. The BEA final report mentiones some of those points, and it is legal to discuss those points and some others of concern to some people here which were not adressed by BEA. That does not make them to an anti A brigade or A haters, but it shows there interest in understanding what went wrong besides the overall and dominating human factor. I personally find it offending to be thrown in the pit of A haters despite stating numerous times, that i have no axe to grind with Aor B. I think others feel the same.

Yes, i have the same feeling as TTex600, that in most cases the A v B quibble was introduced into ongoing discussions by posters defending A despite the fact, that not A was attacked, but a system of A and the functioning logic of this system was being discussed, but not sentenced yet. Sometimes it looks like holey ground to even start a discussion on a subject, and the then introduced A v B flaming trivializes the further discussion without ending at any usefull result. This result may very well end at the point where everybody recognizes, that the system not only worked as designed, but also that the advantages of a change are bought with aditional unbearable risks. It might also lead to the result, that the system should be improved. We do not know and never will know the outcome of such a discussion, if it leads in A v B bashing or defending before the discussion over the topic even started. And finally itīs not the manufacturer alone who sets the standard for the design, but also regulators and money money money.

What i know for sure is, that such a discussion will improve the knowledge base and the understanding of discussed systems and flying itself significantly, if we stick to facts and do not make things up to serve our own biased mind. There is even a way to learn out of wrong assumptions and failed statements, when its allowed to discuss about those in a civilized manner.

But let me add also that those, who think they know all about their aircraft after a few years of uneventful flying and are not willing and not able to see the necessity to know more and to gain more expierience will hopefully have a lot of luck when running out of knowledge and expierience.