PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND - 3 The new beginning
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2012, 17:10
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lastly, on what basis do you state that "IT flights from Southend will still be very limited with no real increase on next year." ? SEN's natural catchment area is well populated by those most likely to take IT flights
Luton has the second biggest catchment area in the UK after Heathrow. Once upon a time Luton charter flights accounted for 100% of all its passengers but now it is down to just 5%. Gatwick is king while the rest of London’s airports pick up the crumbs. This has nothing to do with demand and catchment areas but is imposed by the likes of Thomsons.

Secondly, it's rather sweeping to say that "there will be no real demand from other airlines...." just because STN may be under new ownership by then. Would you say that about LTN then in those circumstances?
Just my opinion, I might well be wrong. Keep this post for a couple of years and then you can say you told me so.

By 2014 Luton will be looking for another 8 million passengers. Stansted under new owners will be looking to fill up its half empty terminal and Gatwick will be eyeing all airports north of the Thames as a souse of more passengers. Life might get tough for Southend but then as I said who knows.