PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russian Air Force, 100th Anniversary, Sukhoi T-50 and Rearming
Old 14th Aug 2012, 15:15
dazdaz1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dermedicus........"I have often wondered, when the war starts, how long our aircraft supply will last. Even with excellent performance on the part of crews, it should not take too long for a larger enemy to destroy 100 - 150 Typhoons, be they on the ground or in the air. I do not believe we are in a position to escalate production in the same way as fighter production in WW2, especially given the complexity of the aircraft today"

The most intelligent/thought provoking post to date. Imagine a three year conflict with another European country (fill in the blanks ------) Could our manufacturing industries produce the a/c? Back in WWII Spit/Hurricane pilots had at the most a week or two 10/15 hours on type. When all the first line pilots from our Squadrons have been depleted, how long would it take to train new pilots without any experience, or build new a/c of the computer flying a/c of today?

As a last ditch, to this scenario I would imagine the Government would revert to older designs, yes the Spit for example sporting some modern a/a technology on her wings and a shorter type rating for the pilots, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a/a heat seeking don't work too well on props. I would consider this as a 'last ditch' before the subs launched the Big Sun, with the approval of the US, Dave can't 'PRESS' it without Obama ok. What a waste of tax payers money. It's like a Xmas present without the batteries.

Daz

Last edited by dazdaz1; 14th Aug 2012 at 15:24.