PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Grave of Schneider Trophy Winner Henry Waghorn AFC
Old 14th Aug 2012, 11:34
Corsairoz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am working occasionally at Solent Sky Aviation Museum in Southampton.

Last October I was honoured to be a little involved in the 75th Anniversary of the Schneider race victory when we (the Museum) took our Supermarine S6A to its old home in Calshot.

There we had a hangar with Schneider artifacts, models and the aircraft herself. A special time and a fitting recognition. In the month we had around 3,000 people visit.

As recognition of the event, at the opening ceremony some representatives of the families of those involved were present, as were some of the direct descendants. As a previous posted has rightly said, I will not put any personal details here.

The end story, and the reason I am posting here, is that the museum was delighted to have been presented, on that day, with some artifacts from P/O Waghorn by his family. These included his flying goggles and helmet as worn in the races, his Sword of Honour certificate from Royal Air Force Cadet College, and the Sword itself. The label is from the Sword's leather case.

I thought you might like to see pictures I took on the day of the items. These were taken by me, and have my copyright, so please do not use them elsewhere commerically, but I am happy to put them on here.

The Schneider dedicated section of the Museum is currently being reconstructed and should be open before year end.

C

Last edited by Corsairoz; 14th Aug 2012 at 11:46.