PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2012, 04:00
TTex600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something to think about.

A line pilot almost never applies any significant amount of nose down elevator. I fly narrowbody Bus's, not widebodies, but I spent some time observing my own last five legs and even though I flew one leg from sea level all the way to FL290 and leveled off there, I only pushed three times. Once to smooth out the flight path upon flap retraction, once to accelerate at FL100, and once to level off at cruise. Not one of those nose down inputs required more than a minimal forward SS input. Each input require approx 1/8th the available forward stick travel.

If the pilot is a gear up , autopilot on, kind of guy: or a minimums autopilot off, kind of guy. It is very likely that any significant amount of forward SS is a very foreign situation.

PS, no I don't stir mayonasse, nor make quick hits on the SS. I apply continuous pressure and I hand fly extensively.

Edit, after further thought, I did make many minor corrections to pitch during the climb and each was smaller in SS deflection than the three I recount above. Be that as it may, any forward SS movement make in normal flight is extremely minor.

Last edited by TTex600; 14th Aug 2012 at 04:48.