PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asian Countries’ Medical parameters
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2012, 03:26
tcw3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asian Countries’ Medical parameters

This thread will be dedicated to any aspect of the pilot Medical process throughout Asia.

I would like to start with the subject of laser eye surgery. Is there someone out there who has actually interviewed/worked for an Asian carrier that can assist us with a vision improvement type laser eye surgery question? I want to apply to several carriers but I am getting very conflicting info.

In a nutshell, for the countries listed below
1 can a pilot successfully obtain a Gov’t airline pilot’s type medical if they are healthy in all areas but have previously had successful Laser eye surgery (to improve their vision)?

2 I know radial keratotomy probably won’t pass, but if they do permit the more modern laser versions does the country’s Gov’t distinguish with a thumbs up/down between PRK and Lasik? In other words which one is acceptable and which is not in each country?

3 If the Gov’t permits it, does it end up being a de facto item of not getting hired cause no actual Airline in their country will offer employment to a pilot who has had this?

mainland China
Korea
Japan
Singapore
Malaysia
Indonesia
Vietnam
Philippines

Footnote: I have spoken with an ex pat pilot working in Hong Kong and he tells me that laser eye surgery is permitted (he has had it himself and has lived there for over 3 yrs).

I am willing to fill out the various applications but I would like to avoid spending the time unnecessarily and then the money on airline tickets to possible interviews when I could be barking up the wrong tree if this is a No Go item. I imagine any feedback will help out a good number of other pilots on this website.

Sorry this next part is lengthy but it will help us establish a foundation of knowledge. Research so far:

I had successful PRK type Laser eye surgery over 6 yrs ago. This procedure and Lasik have been permitted starting more than 8-10 yrs ago in Canada, US and many European countries. Know that I have already read all that I can locate on this website. (additionally I have seen archived posts on Airline Pilot Central that leaned towards saying that this procedure is not permitted in Japan) I then took the step of writing two of the broker agencies that have been around for a long time. An established person at Wasinc and Crew Resources Worldwide said this procedure is prohibited by the Japanese Gov’t. But to confuse the issue further a senior Asia region staff member at Rishworth wrote me that an applicant can succeed when applying to a Japanese carrier but reminded me of the necessary steps. [that one must disclose this on the front end, bring one’s existing home country aviation Medical Certificate and bring the before and after eye measurements from the Dr who performed the surgery] So, from the employment offices that should know, I have received contradictory answers. Grrhh…

Also, I have received different answers from brokers when I inquire about mainland China carriers. To try to break through this fog I connected with someone who speaks and writes Mandarin. She did an internet search on Chinese websites. She found the CAAC officially posted and rather sparse Regulations, but there is >not< any mention of laser eye surgery. So one begins to think this is acceptable…..yet when she moved onto other websites for Chinese civilian aviation schools she found that for a young aspiring student who wants to start down the piloting path, the schools will not permit them to enroll if they have previously had any corneal refractive surgery. Grrhh….?

Since I have not yet come upon definitive answers, I decided to expand my search to more pilot broker agencies so that a critical mass of responses which could hint as to where the compass points on this topic. In addition to those above I have written and/or phoned the following: Parc, DPI, VOR Holdings, Flightcrew Resources Worldwide, Sigma Aviation, IASCO, Zenon, Storm McGinley, Smile Aviation, Confair, Paramount, and GPS Crew. The responses so far have been: no response of any sort, response saying they don’t know, responses saying things like ‘in general’ or ‘depends’, just go to the interview and don’t mention anything about it, yes PRK but no Lasik, our agency doesn’t work with that country, one broker said that within the last month (July 2012) the Japanese Gov’t now says it is approved but ANA won’t take it and we are waiting to hear what Skymark’s policy will be, and finally from a Chinese only broker = we don’t know in advance but when you get to China the CAAC doctor will then decide.

A lot of flying experience is out there. Please pitch in with any facts, rumors, stories, website links and excerpted Regulations you may have. Thank you for the CRM.

Last edited by tcw3; 14th Aug 2012 at 03:27.