PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Confidential Reporting
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2012, 01:59
Typhoon650

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety in aviation is for the most part, just something you are required to look like you do something about.
My previous employer had a supposed safety reporting system, it was there because they were required to have such a system.
I was labelled a troublemaker and told to keep my head down because I submitted "too many" reports. Bear in mind that I was working in a brand new start up division for this company, so there were PLENTY of safety issues that cropped up with equipment and procedures. Things like unserviceable equipment, improper use of safety equipment, driving extremely dangerously around aircraft etc. As a team leader, I'd try to deal with the issue there and then, but staff who knew it all would not change.
I thought little things like stairs blowing away from aircraft and cabin attendants nearly walking out of the aircraft were real issues. Some were acted upon, but it soon got around that I would "grass out" anyone, which was not true. We were told the system was there to be used and that it would be kept confidential. It got to the stage where people I worked with were stabbing me in the back to "get me back" for reporting their stupid behaviour and even going as far as telling staff in other companies we worked with how I couldn't be trusted etc, just because I filled out safety reports.
The whole problem was piss poor, spineless management who couldn't adequately deal with safety problems and made any issues that arose a personal problem with the staff involved, instead of learning and improving the areas around the problem.
I really don't think I'd ever work in aviation again after that.