PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NPAS discussion: thread Mk 2
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2012, 23:46
tigerfish

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PA News,

I think you are still missing my point. OK there may have been a time long ago that one or two units might have fallen under the heading of flying clubs. But by 2005 they had long gone and the UK Police Aviation scene was pretty much well on the ball.

Then came along Mr Hogan Howe, who produced a report which appeared to seek to address the ills of long ago. It was I think, originally an attempt to increase efficiency through a National Police Air Unit. But it was not adopted. Then later the Home Office looked at the report again, and realised that it provided an opportunity to save shed loads of money. To hell with increased efficiency! This was ALL about saving money. NPAS was the result!

Going back to the flying club theme, what would your reaction be if you saw your doctor tomorrow, and he said to you "You had high blood pressure 25 years ago and we really must do something about it now"

In relation to my comment about "torrid times" I was referring to the days when our Cities were suffering riots and general public order problems.
Air support played its part in stopping that cancer. Note, - I said played its part. I did not say that it was solely responsible. But I do know because I was there, that the pictures and video that we took over one of our major flair ups, did help to convict many culprits and did prevent further occurences.

Now the problem that I have with this Govt is that they like others before them, have very short memories. "Oh its quiet now the problem has gone away so lets get rid of all the expensive kit that gave us safety. the problem will never come back, & if it does, surely it will only take a couple of weeks to bring it all back".

Its the same bloody mentality that can say to our armed forces. Hey guy's you did a bloody good job out there, were really proud of you! We are going to weep real (crocodile) tears because of your suffering. - By the way here's your P45!

But I repeat what is needed now is Leadership! We are where we are. NPAS is a fact and it will not go away. It can work if it is seen to be fighting to preserve the terms and conditions that are in the interests of its operational crews. It can work if it points out to the Home Office and ACPO that what it is being forced to do is not condusive to a successful outcome. In short it can work if it discovers LEADERSHIP.

tigerfish

Last edited by tigerfish; 14th Aug 2012 at 07:16.