PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2012, 21:07
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CONF iture
Also, my full fwd action on the stick did not change the attitude, were the elevators moving in the full down position, I would expect so but cannot guaranty it as I didn't check the flight controls page.
How long did you hold it for?

In this case it really needs to be a positive and sustained movement (just as it would be on the yoke in a traditional setup). I don't know the circumstances of your experiment, but in ours I was fixated upon trying to follow the ADI and the trim wheel simultaneously - almost as if I had my right eye and left eye trained in different directions. On the second attempt I followed the ADI and the standby altimeter and V/S (as the only way to simulate similar conditions involved failing the ADIRU on my side).

Why would they try in a simulated session as a sim is not representative of real life.
It can't realistically simulate aircraft behaviour outside of the tested envelope, but it will always be faithful in terms of system behaviour, which ultimately was what we were trying to prove.

The tremendous amount of messages and interest around the THS show that adequat information is clearly needed in the official documentation or through the BEA reports as last ressort.
Maybe, but as far as I can tell the "tremendous amount" of messages seem to be coming repeatedly from the same 4 or 5 posters.

The BEA's remit (like any other accident investigation body) is to report on facts derived from recorded data applying to the incident. In order to establish those facts, experiments are performed to test the circumstances in which the recorded data makes sense.

If those experiments don't apply to the data from the incident then the information derived from those experiments doesn't end up in the report.

As I said earlier, prior to a lucky break in which a faulty B737 rudder PCU reversed itself following thermal shock with no fatalities, the US NTSB was forced to publish a report on UA535 as having no conclusive data - they were about to do the same with USAir427. Investigative agencies can only publish relevant data which can be proved scientifically.

No matter what your personal opinion on autotrim is, the fact is that it did not perform contrary to the way it is supposed to and as such has no place in the report.

You have demonstrated already your misconception.
I, as an Airbus pilot, would need to know much more.
Misconception of what? (and I sincerely want to know). You tell me I'm wrong, yet there are plenty of posters (including line pilots) who say I'm not.

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 13th Aug 2012 at 21:48.