PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age-related Macular Degeneration
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2012, 20:03
Rory Dixon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Age related macular degeneration (AMD) is already the number one reason for visual impairment in the industrialized nations and the magnitude of the problem is predicted to increase dramatically.

The dry form is the most common form and is a fairly stable type of disease. Unfortunately, it might change over time into the wet form, which leads to a rapid reduction of eye sight. The wet form is pathophysiologically determined by activation of neoangiogenesis, leading to the degeneration of the macula. This is actually the process to be stopped by Lucentis.

The reasons for AMD are not completely understood. There are a number of confounding risk factors (e.g. diabetes). I haven't read anything that AMD is more common in pilots, but I have to admit that I didn't do a specific search on the topic yet.

With regard to blue light there is a theory that blue light might activate mercury ions to emit free radicals, thus inducing damage. This theory is NOT widely accepted. Nevertheless, if you would like to protect your eyes from such type of radiation than you would need to use yellow coloured sun glasses targeted at filtering the blue light spectrum. One of the sources of blue light radiation are LCD monitors, so if you believe this theory you should also wear those glasses in front of your computer.