PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glider pilots: How often do you train your rope breaks?
Old 13th Aug 2012, 16:38
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 117 Likes on 84 Posts
" an immediate 180-degree turn into the wind (over trees) at a 45-degree bank and continued another 45 degrees to intercept the runway. At this point my speed was slightly slower that I wanted (~57 instead of 60) and it was really hard to push the stick knowing that would give me speed instead of pulling "because I'm so low and need to stay up."
As part of the checkride the examiner did a simulated rope break right at 200'. I did

I don't normally venture onto this forum, but the above doesn't quite make sense.

Surely you were being launched into wind ?....and the subsequent landing was downwind. You say you performed two 45 degree banks, which, from a height of 200 ft and descending after recovering airspeed from the "break" is pushing your luck a shade. And why, once you had the break and performed the 180 did you not simply land on the runway as I assume the tug had not deviated from the runway heading on departure given the height ( 200ft) of the simulated break.

As for cable breaks, well it's basic psychology and training to prepare for every launch with the potential in mind and keep the left hand very adjacent to the little yellow knob / handle.

The weak links have worked perfectly well over the years but there have been the odd times when the release hook has failed and thus the guillotine gets used on the winch.