PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas returns to OOL
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2012, 13:54
Worrals in the wilds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dunno. I usually can't eat them so I see it as an unnecessary expense. I've always liked the Virgin 'buy it if you want it' philosophy when it comes to meals, blankies, IFE etc. I don't really need any of those things on a two hour flight; I'm sitting in a chair, not a hiking up Mount Lindesay.

To me, full service is about backup when there's a problem with the flight (rather than having to sleep at the airport, hire a car or hitch a ride with a truck pointing in the right direction ), leg room, a classy aircraft interior and nice staff. I don't mind paying for extras as required, as long as what comes with the ticket is clearly specified.

IME what Virgin do provide is an efficient, friendly service in comfortable aircraft, with the right number of staff to make the trip a pleasant experience. I know the difference between full service and LCC is getting a bit grey these days, but for me, on a short haul domestic flight a 'free' meal (that's factored into the ticket price) isn't a key part of it.

Put another way; I'd rather have an efficent paid drinks service than a free one from an alleged full service carrier that never eventuates, or a 'free' Yowie special meal (rumoured to exist and often promised, but never yet seen by reliable witnesses ).

Alternatively, I don't want to arrive at the airport to be told 'aircraft's broken, find your own way home, there's no refund and bugger you' . That's my perception (maybe incorrect) of LCC a la Jetstar and Tiger, and that's why I don't fly with them.