PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No holding fuel?!
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2012, 11:25
Trader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The FCI is quite clear---the statcon fuel is based on an average case, over a period of time for the arrival of that particular flight.

The FCI is also clear that it does NOT take into account weather at destination or enroute or other 'day of ops' issues.

So, if wx is forecast for DXB you take extra fuel.

If CB's pop up that were not forecast, you either commit or go to your alternate. If you commit and get to the point where you are concerned about fuel you declare a pan, get to the point where you WILL land below rsv then declare the mayday.

You have followed company policy and you have been prudent in your decision making.

I don't think you would ever be hauled in for it but if you are then stick to your guns, use the documents THEY gave you and explain your decision making. There is NOTHING dangerous in statcon. You can divert enroute or at destination and be safe! You can commit and still be safe.

As for the Italian captain - we have no idea as to his situation. Did he burn extra fuel enroute, what is his companies fuel policy, does he have the NOTAM for the 20 minutes holding fuel in DXB (how many NOTAMS do we not get in our packs) etc etc etc.

The controller could have told him to hold. As I wasn't there I have no idea what was said. If the controller declared the mayday for him and vectored him in then so be it. I just love how we assume that we at EK know our stuff but no one else does!!!