PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tail Wheel Endo!
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2012, 22:34
Cloud Basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that tail wheel flying is not hard. It simply means the pilot of a tail wheel aircraft needs to be actively involved in ALL aspects of the flying the aircraft near the ground. If you are a lazy pilot and relax in the ground environment with a tail wheel aircraft then you may very well get bitten. But actually continue to pilot the aircraft and guess what it ain't hard.

A perfect example is how many nose wheel aircraft do you see who upon landing immediately lower the nose wheel? Answer: The vast majority. Even when flying nose draggers you will see tail wheel pilots and also those who are not lazy pilots keep full back stick/column to aid in aerodynamic braking and to help slow the aircraft. It is simply good pilotage/airmanship. However most pilots at this stage sadly let the nose drop, and just "steer" the aircraft to the ground destination.

I learnt to drive an aeroplane on nose wheel aircraft and it wasn't until I learnt to fly tail draggers that I actually learnt to fly and pilot an aircraft. Those who have made this transition will know what I am talking about. Those that haven't will likely get all defensive.

But back to my first point. Tail draggers are not hard to fly/land or anything else. They just require you, the pilot, to actually be a pilot.

Cheers
CB