PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MMMmmmiles Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2003, 00:13
atb1943

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Righto, Treadigraph.

If you are correct, Aerohack, on the demise of 'GTC, then it rose again from the ashes, because my flights were in 1962 (ish). My participation was arranged by our local vet, Hollie Birkett, who owned Auster G-APKL. Hollie was a founder member of the 750 motor club, and his wife had an interest in the Phoenix Pub on the A30 at Hartley Wintney, venue of a monthly vintage car meet since 1934. There is still an annual Hollie Birkett race, held at Silverstone last year. Hollie perished in 'KL in July '63 near Berck sur Mer. I'd dearly love a photo of 'KL...

There's a thin line between Proctor 'GTC and MMmmiles, because a now very keen member of the Miles Club was along on both flights (weren't you, John).

John and I were thrown out at Toussus, whilst Simon and Hollie continued on to the Jersey Air Rally. That was the time I learned that you cannot overnight at the Hotel de Ville!

Since you mentioned Proctors....! At Exeter on 23 August '59 I found six fuselages, demobbed, registered G-ANXD to ANXI, all still in RAF clothing. 'NXI was ex-LA589, and was apparently the 2nd prototype, the original Preceptor. 3 CAACU operated Mosquitos of course, and I logged eight of them, including poor RR299. Some two dozen Vampires made up the picture. Oh yes, and MMmmiles Gemini G-AISM flew overhead. Strange machine WG180, a Boulton Paul Balliol was also present.

Two weeks later Blackbushe hosted for the last time on a big scale visitors for the Farnborough Air Show. (In 1960 Odiham took over). I photographed Miles Student G-APLK on 8 Sept. For me the hit of the week were two French Navy PV-2 Harpoons.

That leads me on to the Broburn Wanderlust! In a Nissen shed near the old black hangar on the Aldershot end of the RAE were to be seen fuselages marked T5595, T5635, LZ558 and BGA562, alongside G-ADYS Aeronca, G-ALMN Eon Primary, VM691 Slingsby Cadet, three Fa330 Rotorkites, and that Broburn Wanderlust.

Any ideas on the fate of this stuff?