PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2012, 16:10
Danny42C

Seeing Stars.

Union Jack, DFCP, Taphappy, 26er, - Greetings,

It would seem that in the early '50s Air Ministry had got itself into a right tizzy over the question of titles and NCO aircrew rank badges and (as was its wont), being in a hole, carried on digging with enthusiasm.

I never remember seeing a PI, a P3 or a P4, but we had two or three Masters on 20 Sqdn. in '50/'51; plenty more of them found a home in ATC in the years to come. Perhaps we have got as close to the bottom of the Star business as we are likely to get. I think that, apart from the Masters, it was dead by '52.

I am disturbed to read of the monopoly that Gieves seems to have have been allowed to establish (several Posters have recounted that they had virtually no option - they were more or less marched in to be measured for their new uniforms by that firm's tailors).

I came back in early '49, you could do at least as well at Monty Burton's (provided you were more or less a standard size) for very much less. As late as '55, they would do you a No.1 SD suit for £14/15, and I remember in '41 it was £7/19/6. Even the rest of the licensed highwaymen (Moss Bros, Austen Reed et al.) were cheaper - and a new P.O. was not exactly flush with money ! - (except in India).

DFCP, I'm amused by your RCAF recruiter's blarney about ("a W/Cdr by 37") Put not your faith in Princes - or Recruiting Offices!. Strangely enough, I remember a quite sober article in the "Saturday Evening Post", in which the writer had calculated that anyone starting Flight School in the Air Corps then (early '42) would finish a Major at least. (The crucial "if" wasn't mentioned!)

Some last thoughts about Burma soon (and No, I didn't bury any Spitfires, crated or otherwise).

Danny.