PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flaring a light jet on landing like piston-aircraft???
Old 12th Aug 2012, 16:07
Doodlebug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello again, NuName.

We do operate into all sorts of strips not serviced by an ILS. We also operate into Biggin from time to time. The last time was at night, circling, in a GLEX. We did not attempt to land 'on the numbers' but performed a completely normal approach, landing and rollout. Which worked perfectly well.

We are expected to be stabilized on approach by 1000'. If we were to adjust our rate of descent at that point that would lead to changes in speed, hence thrust, etc. In other words, we would be destabilizing the approach and if we did not initiate a go-around at that point I would be expecting a call after the FDM had divulged our experimentation to the safety-people. This is my answer to your question, what you do is entirely up to you, of course.

If you choose to leave your constant glide-angle on your way down in order to touch down at a point closer to the numbers as opposed to the normal touchdown point, you must surely agree that you clearly ARE increasing your rate of descent, destabilizing and readjusting the aim-point. Readjusting the aim-point was the stated object of the exercise, was it not? That was the answer I was given a few posts up when I asked why people would want to do this. I received my answer, great. If you wish to fly your ship like that and your company/owner/insurer permits you to, who am I to object, fill your boots. Techniques differ. I was not trying to insinuate anything and certainly at no point did I even mention the word 'cowboy'. I was merely being curious.

Happy landings, always.