PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russian Air Force, 100th Anniversary, Sukhoi T-50 and Rearming
Old 12th Aug 2012, 16:07
Lowe Flieger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some very viewable clips there.

Whenever new Russian or Chinese aircraft are commented on in our press or by military experts, they are generally described as being less advanced and less capable than their western counterparts. Is this factual, or militarily or commercial biased?

I remember going to one of the first Farnborough shows after the Russians began to open up their world outlook. It was fascinating to get a close up look at some of their offerings, which looked somewhat agricultural in construction by comparison with US or European fighters. But they were built like brick out-houses and may have been very rugged and effective.

I am not technically adept, so I am unable to draw my own objective comparisons, but I have a healthy scepticism about appraisals of equipment from competitors.

So are the Russians way behind, in line with, or just different from the West? They are certainly cheaper, so perhaps you get what you pay for?