PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2012, 08:57
26er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I began flying training in 1950, starting the ITS course at Wittering just after the '49 Christmas break. At Easter the whole lot moved to Jurby. After about a month we went on leave and then reported to Ternhill. Before that we were called cadet pilots/navigators and wore the empty wreath on our sleeves. At 6FTS we became officer cadets, wore the white tabs on our collars and lived in the officers mess. The wreaths disappeared and those of the course judged fit were cadet corporals, sergeants or under officers and wore normal rank badges. Cadet U/Os (normally the course leader)wore a white lanyard on their left shoulder. At some time I believe I was officially an "officer cadet pilot four" but probably only to describe a pay scale. Our instructors were P1s or P2s. Round about the autumn they reverted to normal nco ranks and several of the P1s sewed sgt chevrons over their previous badge so that the crown was still visible, making them flight sergeants. I don't remember any master pilot QFIs, certainly not on the squadron.

It was normal for only three or four of a course of twenty or so officer cadets to be commissioned on graduation. However just before our graduation in May 1951 an edict came telling the FTS to increase the number. I remember being interviewed by the station commander who asked how I had done on the previous weeks escape and evasion exercise. I had successfully evaded. In the week before the wings parade the man from Gieves was rushed off his feet as we found the ratio of pilot officers v sergeant pilots was reversed compared with previous courses. On the morning of the graduation parade I was told I had won the "ground training trophy" and still have the little silver cup. So I put my award of a commission down to evading and swotting. There can have been no other reason. Of the twenty two who passed out six (including me) were national servicemen.

From that time onwards all students starting at FTSs became acting pilot officers though if those officer cadets still in the system were appointed A/POs or not I don't know.