PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Phantom stories out there?
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2012, 04:00
JimNtexas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the happiness of being a USAF F-4 WSO/EWO in the late 70s and early 80s. I flew the F-4Cww, F-4D (one sortie, but who's counting), F-4E, and F-4G.

In terms of human factors there are better places to work than the apply named 'pit' of the F-4.

The F-4G was about 35 years ahead of its time. I'd be surprised if the F-22 or F-35 could locate radars in three dimensions as well the F-4G.

Since there is interest in the wing fold systems, the USAF birds I flew all had wingtips that were locked down mechanically. They could and were folded by maintenance at times, folding was a purely manual process. If the wing was unlocked a small red tab popped out of the top of the wing.

One day during my F-4G schooling at George AFB I was standing in my flight commander's office getting an ass chewing for something or other. I don't recall what, but I'm sure I deserved it. Suddenly a hysterical voice came over the PA system yelling for everyone to evacuate the building. So we run out the back door on to the flight line to see two guys gathering up their parachutes.

A minute or so earlier my wife was driving onto the base when she saw an F-4 take off, and then fly a graceful parabolic arc as it rolled to one side. She saw the crew punch out and the airplane crash and blow up in the desert just outside the fence.

She wasn't sure what to do, so she stopped at the gate and told the Sky Cop that an airplane had just crashed, and pointed to the column of black smoke rising into the sky. The Sky Cop told her 'don't worry ma'am, that's just the fire department practicing."

It turns out the crew (student pilot, IWSO) had taken off with one wing unlocked. A few years latter I ran into the IWSO. He was blamed for the crash.

The F-4 could fly fine with both wings unlocked, but not with one locked and one unlocked.