PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who, what, when, where?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2003, 20:14
sycamore

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
W,W,W,W

Quite right chaps, for the first bit anyway.I was at AAEE in 1968-72 and the Balliol was in use by the Naval Sqdn, for mct and general training so I managed to wangle a couple of hours away from study to go and have a trip in the aircraft, as it was one of those times of wx.,a/c availability,chance to broaden one`s experience( as a helo pilot/u/t tp).Unfortunately, as we were going out to fly,someone snagged the canopy jettison system,and that was going to take a few hours to fix,-so,no trip!!
It was also used to swap crews who were doing ship-board trials as a COD, so it probably finished in 1969, as it went into a hangar where I seem to recall there was also another one,that had been used as a hangar queen.The T21 had a shortened prop and strengthened u/c plus hook. The RAF had most a/c ,Ceylon had 9, and the RN 30 T21`s.If that is a recent pic of it at Cosford, then I`m ashamed. It was serviceable when it went, as a flyer it would have been a great trainer for the BBMF; but instead it looks like it`s just been robbed and put into a corner, as I said it`s in the wrong b***** museum, it should be at Yeovilton. Rant over!
Anyway ,what about the Who, When and on What??