PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell test ship crash
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2012, 11:39
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Icedriver, already passed the crash test. Flew it home the next day after they put a new short shaft innit. For a newbie on these columns just returned from the ice?, it'd probably be Jolly Exciting on the ice, if you couldn't gauge your height though??

Sasless has described most of the stuff we do to a tee;- an exercise of arriving at nothing with nothing. We all got over the run on caper for both the T/R drive failure problem and the simple jammed pedals or similar - oh, about thirty years ago. He's right though some AFM's still have it sitting right there to look at.

Both the flight instructing standards and aircraft manufacturers should have moved with the times and onto safer methods.

Zero zero is best. I mentioned the use of the throttle at low level as I was thinking of a smart pointy end crew, high wheel loading in a soft field and trying to limit any yaw upon arrival. For sure any of the hundreds of times that I have done them in practice with the throttle locked off past detent you still get that - follow the rotor system yaw - for a bit. That's where I was coming from.

I would really like to have the privilege of trying more ideas out in a sim, but don't ideas have to be put into a sim with real data first.

Another thing most of you guys are talking about is the nose dropping in auto, sure we can all prove that but why not just go out and practice a few times, hold the cyclic still;- throttle off throttle on quickly, see what happens. A simple matter of drag, thrust relationships.

I too like to have my A/C set up with very aft C of G, not only a figment of the imagination when operating close to trees, but with big tourists in the front of a KH4 for example and getting low on fuel, - ho ho. -- HO.

Knew my hat was safe and just as well, coming off the back of the first mustering round, full of bull dust, blood and guts and mountain oysters throwback.

Oh and BTW jonny baby, you can back it in, one blade strike and it's totaled. That there wreck would be like a parachutist that forgot the brolly, every bone innit broken. There's a good couple of photos around of what a decent blade strike (just one) can do to a big helicopter, taken in Western Australia. Massive photo the strike photo, taken right at the instant the blade end exploded on a steel light pole.

cheers Tet