PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glider pilots: How often do you train your rope breaks?
Old 11th Aug 2012, 02:03
IFMU

Received 77 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800
Cable breaks from a winch or car tow launch are pretty easy to land from (and we are well trained) but breaks during an aerotow when still low down can be tricky! Not much training in these so you need to think in advance what to do and consider a nearby field landing.
One thing I love about Harris Hill - my one real rope break (on the glider side) was at 20'. It was windy and we lifted off late, I think there was some local lift suppression on the runway. I just flew back down into ground effect and skimmed along until I was off the edge, then I had it made. The ridge even worked for a while, I climbed 700' until the wind direction swapped, lost 100', and made a normal landing. My oldest son has the broken weak link as a souvenir, which happens to be a work-hardened piece of nylon rope. Had the ridge not worked we would have had the emergency field, even the pawnee can make it there if the engine fails.

-- IFMU