PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Confidential Reporting
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2012, 23:28
Worrals in the wilds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Aviation Unions Federation are looking at developing an Industry wide confidential reporting scheme. One simple sheet that you fax or email into us. It is then directed to the appropriate union for reporting within company systems, CASA or the ATSB where appropriate.
Great idea. However the problem I see is that the relevant managements will just dismiss it as IR agitating by Those Nasty Unions, because they (the managements) are so awesome that their employees would tell them about these things, and they'd quash the problems right away. Sunshine, Lollipops and so on.

Of course that's about as real world as Star Trek, but that's how many of these management genii think. They really believe they're doing a great job and any contradictory evidence is either a misunderstanding or a subversive attempt by the loafers to scam an extra ten minute tea break. Maybe sometimes it is , but on other occasions legitimate concerns from staff are swept aside by management because, like, what would the workers know? They don't have basket weaving diplomas and stuff, they've just been doing the job for years. If they'd been really smart they would have gone into management, yeah?

I like your idea but I think many managers would just put anything you say into the 'what would they know' category and dismiss it forthwith.

I'm not referring to companies like Qantas that are actively manevolent towards their staff; more the companies in the middle, that are run by basically decent people who like to think they're getting it right but actually aren't.

The other question is whether CASA would do anything about anything you sent them. Refer the Barry Hempel thread in the DG Bugsmasher subforum.