PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Barry Hempel Inquest
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2012, 19:44
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High horses ? – perhaps.

A band of Brothers E.K. Gann 1973 (?). Must have loaned my copy out to someone; anyway - as I remember it, the 'team' were standing looking at a relic they had resurrected and our hero was noting the reactions of his fellow pilots about to turn 'thought into deed'. And again, in Fate is the Hunter there is a similar passage were he and a co pilot come across a left behind aircraft and the question of which of his fellow peer pilots would be 'game' to fly it, and poses their various responses to being asked.

Point of the ramble – there are many types of airman, all with varying degrees of 'derring do', experience and knowledge. Mustering pilots think very little of being down in the dust and trees all day but would have a mild case of the sweats tackling rush hour in Sydney (oxymoron) on a day like yesterday.

Not safe, fair or logical to declare a bloke a cowboy just because 'you' wouldn't do it. There are the odd rogues and rascals in any physically 'potentially dangerous' profession; but, I would mildly suggest that in the aviation 'business' they are the exception rather than the rule and would recommend a degree of caution before making those judgements in the current climate.

Last edited by Kharon; 10th Aug 2012 at 19:47. Reason: Tin hat left in bunker.