PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell test ship crash
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2012, 17:16
sycamore

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
There are tail-rotor failures,and techniques to possibly fly the aircraft to a safe landing..and then there is tail-rotor and probably gearbox loss...and that will make your eyeballs `pop`.Depending on the power and airspeed at the time you`ll probably yaw about 60-90 deg,and the nose will go down,and the stick will be on the back stop. If you take a basic UH-1,the moment arm is about 480ins to the T/R,and an approx weight of 50 lbs for t/r/part of gearbox,you`ve just lost about 24000 ins/lbs of Moment arm.I`m sure someone can work out the C OF G change.If ,type dependent,you can get pax/crew as far aft as possible,you may be able to recover better longitudinal control,and if you dump the lever,the a/c will pitch down more so.Also, the driveshaft may also start to `flail` and chew up the back-end as well.
Anyway,it may be something that can be `simulated`,but worth thinking about...glad the crew are safe...
Ah,how do I know all this,.? well the pictures of a Whirlwind that I prepared earlier(47 yrs ago) are on page 15 of `Rotorheads around the World`(not videos)....