PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2012, 13:36
Danny42C

Comment.

DFCP,
The balbo of 24 Meteors from Leuchars sounds an odd idea. But: "The West Raynham Story" tells of a later ATC tragedy which was told as a cautionary tale to all budding ATCs in my day (would have to look it up now, but it involved a number of Hunters and - I think - some of the pilots, too).

Blacksheep,
So they knocked my old Ops block down at last (is nothing sacred?). I suppose the rubble went into Billingham Bottoms, like all the other slum clearance spoil from Middlesbrough in the '60s - '70s. (and no cracks about "monkey-hangers", either, please. Actually I'm at the other end of the conurbation - D).

Taphappy,
There was a widespread superstition that crashes never came singly, if you had one, you could count on three at least. Then you'd have a clear run for weeks. As many of us could recall, there seemed to be something in it.

Ah, the "Hennessey Four-Star Rank System" - one of the RAF's stupider ideas (and believe me, there were many - how about the 1950 new-pattern Officers No.1 SD Jacket?) Could never remember whether you went up or down the 4-star scale, I believe they actually thought of building separate Messes for these new creatures they'd called into existence.

Put some more coke on the stove,

Greetings, all,

Danny.

Quos Iuppiter vult perdere, prius dementat ! (Those whom the Gods wish to destroy...........)