PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 report out
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2012, 21:30
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RetiredF4
Well, it didnīt help this crew and their pax and payload.
Wouldn't you say it's a fairly minor issue compared to pulling 15 degrees nose-up when you're already at your cruise level?

And while a risk of not being able to trim manually may be present , which is teached in basic aircrew training ab initio
So is detection and recovery from stall, which they didn't manage.

they had to deal with an autotrimming function not limitied by protections as it is present in the day to day AB flying.

It at least should be known, what kind of extra care must be taken. To know that, it is mandatory to recognize the system limitations asociated with the special circumstances.
The extra care can be boiled down to a single rule - stay within the flight envelope outside of Normal Law!

Guess what i myself and some pilots of old school would prefer more.
It's an opinion you're welcome to, but to me it seems like an attempt to pin blame on an aspect of the design because of a pre-determined conclusion that you don't like the design.

As we (as retired or non AB flyers on this thread) can recognize here and as my own feedback with active AB-pilots shows, the knowledge about downgraded systems is way of the scale we oldheads had been checked about.
Most of the in-depth knowledge was held by the Flight Engineer in the old days. I suspect that were you to show an old FE the layout of the Airbus systems they'd consider it child's play compared to what they had to deal with.

That may be a management failure or AB philosophy. Your statement shows, that you are either ignorant or not sensible enough to the same theme here.
Not at all - what bothers me is that those harping on about the level of complexity either haven't flown the FBW Airbus, or have flown it despite having a pre-existing dislike of the design. There appear to me to be just as many current and former FBW Airbus pilots who don't find the design overly complex at all. They don't post as frequently, but they're definitely around.