PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 report out
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2012, 21:07
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
DozyWannabe
If you throw a pilot into a scenario where he or she will have to repeatedly perform an action that is not part of their day-to-day experience (such as manually trimming a FBW Airbus), then it adds a risk factor because they may not get it right. As such, Alternate Law exists when a partial systems failure means that Normal Law can no longer be sustained, but not all the benefits need be lost.
Well, it didnīt help this crew and their pax and payload. And while a risk of not being able to trim manually may be present , which is teached in basic aircrew training ab initio, they had to deal with an autotrimming function not limitied by protections as it is present in the day to day AB flying.
Guess what i myself and some pilots of old school would prefer more.

DozyWannabe
Doesn't matter - the only mantra you need to remember is that outside of Normal Law, extra care must be taken.
It at least should be known, what kind of extra care must be taken. To know that, it is mandatory to recognize the system limitations asociated with the special circumstances. As we (as retired or non AB flyers on this thread) can recognize here and as my own feedback with active AB-pilots shows, the knowledge about downgraded systems is way of the scale we oldheads had been checked about. That may be a management failure or AB philosophy. Your statement shows, that you are either ignorant or not sensible enough to the same theme here.

Last edited by RetiredF4; 9th Aug 2012 at 21:17.