PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looking for advice about current range of CPUs
Old 9th Aug 2012, 20:48
Spitoon

Looking for advice about current range of CPUs

It's looking like the current iteration of my main machine - although it's done me proud for 2 or 3 years - now looks as if it might be on its way out.

It's struggling with some of the heavy tasks I give it anyway - or more correctly, I get a bit frustrated waiting for it to finish them - and there doesn't seem to be a viable upgrade path with the present motherboard (LGA1366 board with i7 920).

So I'm thinking of an upgrade to motherboard and processor. The demanding stuff I use it for is HD video processing - which I'm just getting into - working with big hi-res images an publishing stuff.

I don't follow these things closely and the current options for a high end machine appear to be Ivybridge 1155 socket and Socket 2011.

It's early days of researching all this stuff but I haven't found a simple explanation of the pros and cons of these two options. Any explanation or advice from hardware gurus would be very welcome. TIA.