PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ULTIMATE RESCUE HELICOPTER
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2012, 15:45
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Chugalug2 and Post 38,

I didn't mean it to be a throwaway line but merely trying to indicate that as (probably) the last member of ground crew to do the crewmens' course - when the job first went to 'spare' Air Sigs and to have flown 'casually' thereafter as a crewman on both SH - it was called SRT then - and to have done the last SAR with a Sycamore (Feb 66), it was quite a while ago. 1964-69 to be precise.

The SAR flights and those SRT (SH) assets available for SAR, used PEDRO when on task. For example in Hong Kong from 1967, when a permanent RAF helicopter presence was established, the calls were PEDRO 98 and 99. On the first time we did it for real, a civvy ATC at Kai Tak told us to 'wait out' when we called. His horizons were rapidly readjusted much to the annoyance of the commercial traffic, as we sped across the harbour and into the dark off Lantau. I use the term 'sped' advisedly; for anybody who knows the Whirlwind 10, all things are relative.

Mainly Shackletons, which provided top cover etc, the identity was PLAYMATE but occasionally another type did this work.

I do not know when the universal title RESCUE was adopted but somebody will enlighten me err long.

Your comment about the Sea King/Herc accident may well have been just such an enquiry as you describe. It might be relevant if the age/experience of the pilot making the call were known.

Old Duffer